Coming Out: The New DynamicsNicholas A. Guittar
Nicholas Guittar draws on deeply personal interviews with young people to enhance our understanding of "coming out," revealing the changing dynamics of sexual identity.
Guittar explores how mainstream norms continue to assert their influence over those with nonnormative sexualities. He also highlights the wide spectrum of coming out experiences. His important work sheds light on why, even though fewer people may remain closeted today than in the past, coming out is not a one-time event, but a lifetime process.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Nicholas A. Guittar is assistant professor of sociology at Valdosta State University.
- The Shifting Contexts of Coming Out.
- The Meaning(s) of Coming Out.
- The Use of Bisexuality as a Transitional Identity.
- Sexual Affinities and Progressive Identities.
- Gender (Non)Conformity.
- Not a Process, but a Career.
- The Future of Coming Out.