Conflict Assessment and Peacebuilding Planning: Toward a Participatory Approach to Human SecurityLisa Schirch
|ISBN: 978-1-56549-581- 4|
|2013/229 pages/LC: 2012029034 |
A Kumarian Press Book
A Global Observatory Must-Read Book in Peace and Security!
Offering a systematic approach that links practical conflict-assessment exercises to the design, planning, monitoring, and evaluation of peacebuilding efforts, Conflict Assessment and Peacebuilding Planning has been carefully—and realistically—designed to enhance the effectiveness of peacebuilding practice.
Lisa Schirch presents a convenient, logical framework and a wealth of tools for improving planning and implementation. She also helps us to fruitfully question widely held assumptions. Her concise handbook, informed by on-the-ground realities, is an essential resource for building true human security.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Lisa Schirch is research professor of peacebuilding at Eastern Mennonite University and founding director of 3P Human Security at the Alliance for Peacebuilding. Her publications include The Little Book of Strategic Peacebuilding, Civilian Peacekeeping: Reducing Violence and Making Space for Democracy, and Ritual and Symbol in Peacebuilding.
- The Purpose of this Handbook.
- Research Methods and Challenges.
- Conflict Assessment.
- Where: Understanding the Conflict Context.
- Who: Identifying Stakeholders and Potential Peacebuilders.
- Why: Motivations.
- What: Systems Mapping of Conflict Drivers and Mitigators.
- How: Sources and Uses of Power.
- When: Timelines, Triggers, Windows.
- Theories of Change for Peacebuilding.
- Peacebuilding Planning Guidance.
- Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Appendixes: Writing a Conflict Assessment and Peacebuilding Planning "Learning Document." Recommendations for Coordination and Donors.