From Promise to Practice: Strengthening UN Capacities for the Prevention of Violent ConflictChandra Lekha Sriram and Karin Wermester, editors
|2003/434 pages/LC: 2002036827|
A project of the International Peace Institute
How can the United Nations, regional and subregional organizations, government donors, and other policymakers best apply the tools of conflict prevention to the wide range of intrastate conflict situations actually found in the field? The detailed case studies and analytical chapters in From Promise to Practice offer operational lessons for fashioning strategy and tactics to meet the challenges of specific conflicts, both potential and actual.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Chandra Lekha Sriram is lecturer in international relations at the University of St.Andrews in Scotland. Karin Wermester is on the staff of the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator's Office in Sudan. She is a contributing editor to Peacebuilding as Politics: Cultivating Peace in Fragile Societies.
- Foreword—David M. Malone.
- Introduction—C.L. Sriram.
- THEORETICAL CHALLENGES, OPERATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES.
- From Risk to Response: Phases of Conflict, Phases of Conflict Prevention—C.L. Sriram, with K. Wermester.
- Third-Party Incentives and the Phases of Conflict Prevention—D. Rothchild.
- LESSONS FROM THE FIELD: MANAGING THE GESTATION OF CONFLICT.
- Quiet Diplomacy and Recurring "Ethnic Clashes" in Kenya—S. Brown.
- Zanzibar: A Multilevel Analysis of Conflict Prevention—P.J. Kaiser.
- Fiji: Peacemaking in a Multiethnic State—R.R. Premdas.
- LESSONS FROM THE FIELD: ANTICIPATING THE TRIGGERS OF VIOLENCE.
- Javakheti, Georgia: Why Conflict Prevention?—A. Matveeva.
- East Timor: The Path to Self-Determination—T. Samuel.
- LESSONS FROM THE FIELD: PREVENTING ESCALATION OR RESURGENCE.
- Colombia: International Involvement in Protracted Peacemaking—M.W. Chernick.
- Tajikistan: Bad Peace Agreements and Prolonged Civil Conflict—K. Collins.
- Liberia: Legacies and Leaders—G.C. Kieh, Jr..
- Preventing Conflict Escalation in Burundi—M.O. Maundi.
- OPTIONS FOR THE FUTURE.
- Insights from the Cases: Opportunities and Challenges for Preventive Actors—C.L. Sriram.
- From Promise to Practice? Conflict Prevention at the United Nations—K. Wermester.