Sustainable Agriculture in EgyptMohamed A. Faris and Mahmood Hasan Khan, editors
| ||ISBN: 978-1-55587-370-7|
|1993/280 pages/LC: 93-19486 |
Egypt's agricultural development has been constrained by, among other factors, the need to conserve scarce natural resources, the pressures of rapid urbanization, the onslaught of the desert, and, not least important, technological limitations and restrictive economic structures. This book addresses the issues crucial to achieving and maintaining sustainable agriculture in Egypt.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Mohamed A. Faris is professor of plant science at the Macdonald Campus of McGill University. He is director of the Canada-Egypt-McGill Agricultural Response Program (CEMARP). Mahmood Hasan Khan is professor of economics at Simon Fraser University. His recent publications include Rural Change in the Third World and Structural Change in Pakistan's Agriculture.
- Introduction—the Editors.
- MAJOR ISSUES FOR A SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE.
- Achieving and Maintaining a Sustainable Agriculture—E.T. York, Jr.
- A Non-Egyptian Perspective—C.F. Bentley.
- An Egyptian Perspective—S. Galal, Jr. and M. Fawzy.
- ENVIRONMENTAL ASPECTS.
- Environmental Sustainability and the Redesign of Agroecosystems—S.B. Hill.
- Environmental Sustainability of Egyptian Agriculture: Problems and Perspectives—A.K. Biswas.
- DEVELOPMENT OF NATURAL AND HUMAN RESOURCES.
- Egypt's Water Resource Management and Policies—M. Abu-Zeid.
- Research Process, Human Resources, and the Quest for Sustainability—H.A. Steppler.
- ADAPTATION OF TECHNOLOGY.
- Toward a Sustainable Rice Production System for Egypt—M.S. Balal.
- Transfer and Adoption of Horticultural Technology: A Global Overview—H.M. Eisa.
- ECONOMIC ASPECTS.
- Egyptian Agricultural Policy and the Challenges of the 1990s—A.A. Goueli.
- Structural Adjustment and Egyptian Agriculture: Some Preliminary Indications of the Impact of Economic Reforms—N. Okonjo-Iweala and Y. Fuleilhan.
- The Agriculture Sector in the Context of Egypt's Structural Adjustment Program—S. El-Serafy.
- Strategy of the Commons: Opportunities and Challenges for Egyptian Agriculture—J.R. Potvin.
- The Uruguay Round of Multilateral Negotiations and Egyptian Agriculture—M.M. Abdel Fattah.
- CULTURAL, SOCIAL, AND POLITICAL ASPECTS.
- The Social Sustainability of Induced Development: Culture and Organization—M.M. Cernea.
- Small Farmer Households and Agricultural Sustainability in Egypt—N.S. Hopkins
- Women's Rights as a Condition for Sustainability of Agriculture—H. Badran.
- Sustainable Development Necessitates a Social Revolution—G. Spendjian.
- Population Dynamics and Sustainable Agricultural Development in Egypt—I. Sirageldin.
- Integration of Environmental and Sustainable Development Dimensions in Agricultural Planning and Policy Analysis—F.K. Bishay.
- Food, Jobs, and Water: Participation and Governance for a Sustainable Agriculture in Egypt—A. Richards.