To Build a Free China: A Citizen’s JourneyXu Zhiyong, translated by Joshua Rosenzweig and Yaxue Cao, with an Introduction by Andrew Nathan
|2017/297 pages/LC: 2016028547 |
Special price for a limited time only!
The story of China's rights movement—a struggle for basic human rights and democracy that, despite harsh repression, has endured for more than a decade—unfolds in Xu Zhiyong's compelling personal memoir.
In recognition of his work as an activist, lawyer, and founder of the New Citizen Movement, Dr. Xu was named one of Asia Weekly's People of the Year in 2005 and one of the Southern People’s Weekly’s Top Ten Young Leaders of China in 2006. His efforts have been considerably less well received, however, by the government of the PRC, and he has been arrested numerous times.
Dr. Xu has been serving a four-year prison sentence since 2013 for "gathering a crowd to disrupt order in a public place." His moving statement at the end of his trial, hailed as the China Manifesto, is included in To Build a Free China.
- Introduction—Andrew J. Nathan.
- Preface: Being a True Citizen.
- One Life for One Dream.
- Village Travels: My Days at the Rural Edition of China Reform.
- The Death of Sun Zhigang and the Citizen Recommendation to Appeal "Custody and Repatriation."
- The "Illegal" Life of a Private Enterprise: Defending Sun Dawu.
- Be True to the Law: Campaigning for a Seat as a People's Congress Delegate.
- On Behalf of Free Expression: The Southern Metropolis Daily Case.
- We're in This Together: Life in "Petitioner Village."
- The Citizens' Alliance, or Gongmeng
- Returning to China.
- What's Your Motive?
- The Prayers of Poshang Village: For Cai Zhuohua and the House of Churches of China.
- Experience and Reflection: The Gongmeng Tax Case.
- In This World.
- Practice Love on the Road to Justice.
- The Critic: For My Brother, Teng Biao.
- Cherish Your Ballots!
- Our 2011.
- The Idealists.
- China's New Citizen Movement: A Manifesto.
- I am A Free Citizen.
- Hearts Filled with Justice.
- The New Citizen Movement 2012.
- The Last Ten Years.
- China's Path.
- Love Along China's Borders.
- For Freedom, Justice, and Love: My Closing Statement to the Court.