Understanding Contemporary China, 4th EditionRobert E. Gamer, editor
|2012/499 pages/LC: 2011052684|
Understanding: Introductions to the States and Regions of the Contemporary World
The latest edition of Understanding Contemporary China has been thoroughly revised to reflect a half-decade of significant events and trends, both domestically and in the international arena. The result is an accessible, well-grounded exploration of the most crucial issues affecting China today.
The authors assume no prior knowledge on the part of the reader, making the book a perfect choice for interdisciplinary "Introduction to China" courses, as well as for courses in political science and sociology. Numerous maps and photographs enhance the text.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Robert E. Gamer is professor emeritus of political science at the University of Missouri–Kansas City. His publications include Governments and Politics in a Changing World and The Developing Nations: A Comparative Perspective.
- Introduction—R.E. Gamer.
- China: A Geographic Preface—S.W. Toops.
- The Historical Context—R. Murphey.
- Chinese Politics—R.E. Gamer.
- China's Economy—S.Y. Tong and J. Wong.
- China Beyond the Heartland—L.T. White III and R.E. Gamer.
- International Relations—R.E. Gamer.
- Population Growth and Urbanization— R. Ma.
- China's Environmental Problems—R.L. Edmonds.
- Family, Kinship, Marriage, and Sexuality—W. Jankawiak and X. Zang.
- Women and Development—L. Bossen.
- Religion—H. Chan and A.Y.C. King.
- Literature and Popular Culture—C.A. Laughlin.
- Trends and Prospects—R.E. Gamer and LT. White III.