Understanding Contemporary China, 5th editionRobert E. Gamer and Stanley W. Toops, editors
|Forthcoming July 2017/500 pages/LC: 2017001474|
Understanding: Introductions to the States and Regions of the Contemporary World
China today bears little resemblance to the country introduced in the first edition of Understanding Contemporary China, published nearly two decades ago. Even in just the past five years, dramatic changes have occurred under the leadership of President Xi Jinping.
This new edition of the book reflects those changes, exploring the impact of new domestic policies; China's role as a behemoth in the world economy; its rapidly modernizing infrastructure; its expanding military presence in the region; the environmental challenges it confronts; and much more. The result is an accessible, well-grounded look at the most crucial issues affecting China today.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Robert E. Gamer is professor emeritus of political science at the University of Missouri–Kansas City. Stanley W. Toops is associate professor of geography and international studies at Miami University.
- Introduction—R.E. Gamer.
- China: A Geographic Preface—S.W. Toops.
- The Historical Context—R. Murphey.
- Chinese Politics—R.E. Gamer.
- China’s Economy—S. Tong and J. Wong.
- China Beyond the Heartland—L.T. White and R.E. Gamer.
- International Relations—R.E. Gamer.
- Population Growth and Urbanization—R. Ma.
- China’s Environmental Problems—R.L. Edmonds.
- Family, Kinship, Marriage, and Sexuality—W. Jankowiak and X. Zang.
- Women and Development—L. Bossen.
- Religion—H. Chan and A.Y.C. King.
- Literature and Popular Culture—C.A. Laughlin.
- Trends and Prospects—R.E. Gamer and L.T. White.